August 20th 2017
*There was no Green Growers today.
After a delay due to technical difficulties it was decided to go ahead with business meeting and then straight to guest speaker Jack Heflin.
Our guest Jack and Elenia Heflin from Tulsa were introduced. They're members of both the Tulsa and Ozark Orchid Societies.
Jack's talk was titled "Adapting Your Environment to Match Your Orchid's Natural Habitat" and discussed varying natural environments around the world and how this affects growing orchids in challenging places in homes and/or greenhouses.
Allen Koch directed the meeting this month in Jana Butcher's absence.
There were 17 members and 2 guests present.
- Allen called the meeting to order.
- The minutes from July meeting were presented. Motion was made and seconded to accept the secretary's report and it was carried by acclamation.
- The treasurer's report was read and a club balance of $27,644.50 was presented for July 31, 2017. Motion was made to accept, and the motion was seconded and carried by acclamation.
- The contract has been sign with the city for 3 years, retroactive to July 1, 2017.
- The contract year will run from July to June annually.
- Volunteer hours already performed will be counted back to July 1.
- The schedule for meetings and show dates has been set for 3 years.
- Fees for the large room that we have been using, have been paid trough August, 2018.
- Due to an increase in the cost of renting the room we currently use, in September 2018 OOS will move across the hall to a smaller room and meetings will then be held there.
- The large room will continue to be used for annual shows.
- Johnita showed the shirts that are for sale with embroidered OOS logo, at cost of $23.00 each, paid in advance.
- Show theme for 2018 suggestions are still being asked for, and Jana asked that suggestions be sent to her by the September meeting for consideration.
- Gabriel asked that if anyone changes their e-mail address to please notify him so he can keep everyone abreast of news, notices,etc.
- Forth Worth SWROGA show will be November 4 and 5 at the Forth Worth Botanical Gardens. The Kansas City will be the same dates. SWROGA registration forms for the Forth Worth show are available on their website along with the list of hotels and motels in the area.
- Howard Brown gave the judging and AOS report.
- There was no OKC Garden Council report.
- There was no Orchid Digest report.
- There was no conservation report.
- Reminder was given for everyone who is able to sign up to volunteer at the 2018 Mother's Day Show.
The meeting was adjourned.
August minutes provided by Carol Ash.
July 16th 2017
Green growers presentation was "Repotting a Large Specimen Orchid" by Dr. Kay Backues, president of the Tulsa Orchid Society and veterinarian at the Tulsa Zoo. She repotted a very large cattleya orchid and discussed medium, fertilizer, water, etc. 21 members were in attendance.
- Meeting was called to order by Jana Butcher. Visitors were welcomed.
- The minutes of the previous meeting were accepted and approved by acclamation.
- The treasure's report was presented by Allen Koch, accepted and approved by acclamation.
- An update on the Garden Center rental fee increase, including 2018 show cost increase by the Oklahoma City Parks department was given.
Volunteer hours being applied to the rental fees was discussed.
- Valerie Jennings will be unable to continue as secretary of the OOS for the remainder of her term in 2017.
Carol Ash agreed to complete Valerie's term.
- Some officers will be unavailable for the August meeting and Allen Koch will lead that meeting.
- SWROGA, Great Plains Judging and AOS reports were given
The Tulsa Orchid Society Show will be April 21 and 22, 2018
SWROGA Show in Fort Worth, TX. will be November 4 and 5, 2017.
- 2 Vanda Orchids were auctioned, netting $75.00 for the OOS.
- Johnita is taking orders with prepayment required, for blue chambray or khaki shirts with the OOS logo on the breast.
She had samples to view and the price for the members is $23.00 each.
- Sherwood, on behalf of the OOS, presented Johnita with 2 rare orchids and a framed collection of photos, along with a poem
written by Sherwood in appreciation for all that Johnita has done in dealing with the parks department on behalf of the OOS.
- The theme for the 2018 show was discussed. Any suggestions should be sent to Jana Butcher and vote will be taken at the
September Meeting to select a theme.
- Meeting was closed around 4 o'clock.
July's Minutes provided by Carol Ash.
June 18th 2017
a. The new rates for meeting and show venue were discussed. A vote was taken and passed to
AOS.- Howard discussed the advantages of an AOS membership along with valuable
Orchid Digest.- No report.
SWROGA.- No report
VIII. The general meeting was a continuation of the repotting program with a hands-on session.
June's Minutes provided by Carolyn McCabe.
I. The meeting was called to order by Jana Butcher in the newly renovated Will Rogers garden center.
II. Minutes were approved without changes.
III. The Treasure’s report was approved without changes. $27,896.13
IV. Old business:
a. Several of our members attended the SWROGA show in Tyler, Tx. at the end of March and this past weekend we had members at the Tulsa show. If you have the opportunity, go to one of the shows they truly are a lot of fun.
b. Our lighting committee was able find just the right lighting system for our exhibits. They did
at great job finding the bulbs that aren’t too hot and would show the true color of the flowers in the exhibit.
c. It was decided to keep the logo that we have been using for many years. It is the one that we have on our t-shirts.
V. New business:
a. Garden Center- Karen Marichal helped at the garden center last month and accrued 8 hours of ‘pay’ for the club. A group of 5 to 7 people planted 5,000 plants. If everyone could give 2 or more hours maybe we can use our hours to ‘pay’ our monthly rent.
b. Monthly meetings- We need to have more participation in setting up and tearing down the chairs/tables for our meetings. The same people end up doing most of the setup although we do have more help in the teardown.
c. Garden Club- April 22, plant sale, bring your plants by 9am labeled and with a picture of the flower if possible.
d. April meeting-Sun, April 30 is to be held at the McCabes and we will be learning
about how to setup a show. Bring a plant.
e. Great Plains judging- was held in Kansas, there were 7 plants submitted and 2 awards.
f. Conservation- no report
It was decided to offer Charles Hess a free table for our May show.
g. SWROGA- the next SWROGA is in Tulsa, April 22nd & 23rd.
h. Auction- One plant auctioned; Princess Picassa $50
i. Orchid Digest- no report
j. May show- help
1. the vendors that are judging
2. setup with the exhibits – the Ashes
3. clerking for the judges
4. participating in Orchid in Use
5. bring your plants in bloom
6. banquet will be at Nancy’s Lighthouse
7. show auction-we need donations
8. still need food items, Sunday we will pass around the sheet
k. Green Growers- Jana put on a great presentation, Growing Orchids in the House;
The next presentation was Growing and Repotting Paphiopedilums.
VI. Meeting was adjourned around 4 pm
Valerie Jennings - OOS Secretary
February 19th 2017
I. Meeting called to order by Jana Butcher.
The meeting took place at Will Rogers Senior Center.
II. Thirty-six (36) people were present including 4 new members.
III. Minutes of the last meeting were approved without changes.
IV. Treasurer's report was approved without changes. $26,899.14.
V. Old business:
a. The club voted on and unanimously approved two hundred dollars to buy a new refrigerator for the remodeled Garden Center.
b. Thanks to Karen Marichal for organizing the bus trip to Kansas, and Gabriel for taking on the job of Web Master.
VI. New Business:
a. April 22 the Garden Clubs are holding a sale, plants need to be at the Garden Center by 9 am Saturday morning.
We need plants! We need the name of the plants and a picture of the flower (if available).
b. SWROGA show in Tyler, Texas, Friday March 31st is set up day, the show will start April 1st and 2nd.
VII. Green Growers - 'Growing Under Fluorescent Lights' a webinar by Steve Frowine.
Great Plains judging was in Winfield, KS. There were 13 submitted and 3 were awarded.
AOS - Howard discussed the advantages of an AOS membership along with the valuable information found in the Orchid magazine. February's issue has help with pronunciation and botanical terms.
Orchid Digest - Burrel talked about the 4th quarter special edition of Orchid Digest containing more than 70 pages of pictures and information about the catasetum tribe.
Mike Friday is getting together with Charles Hess to discuss conservation issues. He will get back with us.
Mother's Day Show and Sale - May 12, 13 and 14. Bring your plants for the show Friday.
VIII. Jana introduced our special speaker, Burrel Gambel, we celebrated his 96th birthday. We had a beautiful cake made and decorated by our very own Carolyn. As usual we also had a delicious array of snacks and drinks.
IX. We had two tables full of beautiful orchids for our Show and Tell brought in by several of our members. We also had many raffle plants and several people allowed our guests/new members to pick a plant.
X. There were two specimen plants for auction.
XI. Meeting adjourned around 4 o'clock.
Valerie Jennings - OOS Secretary
January 15th 2017
January's meeting was canceled due to weather
The treasurer's report ending 01-31-17 is $26,899.14
For the exciting details please attend the monthly club meeting 2-19-17
Oklahoma Orchid Society
Growing Better Orchids
November 20, 2016
Bus Tour and Meeting Minutes
I. Meeting took place at Southwestern College in Winfield, Kansas. The meeting was called to order by Jana Butcher.
II. Minutes of the last meeting were approved without changes.
III. Treasurer’s Report was approved without changes. $26,000 plus.
Pizza for everyone. Really good and still warm.
V. Nominating Committee.
Slate of officers.
President - Jana Butcher.
Vice President - Keith Warren.
Secretary - Valerie Jennings.
Treasurer - Allen Koch.
- Jana said she would notifiy those not present by email.
- Johnita said we had Quorum.
- A vote was taken and the slate was elected.
VI. AOS Report. No report
Orchid Digest. No report.
- Jana Notified us that our floor exhibit won a trophy for Best Small Floor exhibit in Shreveport Louisiana.
Congrats and thanks for all who helped put the exhibit together.
- Jana noted that almost every flower in our exhibit had a ribbon.
Two trophys were awarded.
- SWROGA next show is Tyler April 1 and 2.
- Great Plains. 5 orchids were awarded
- Garden Council.
Johnita reported that the clubs and Societies have about reached an agreement with Oklahoma City.
We can earn creadits for our club meeting costs by volunteering at Will Rogers. These hours worked will off-set
the cost of our hourly rental fees.
Please come help decorate the Christmas tree and come to the lighting ceremony on the 26th at 6 PM at Will Rogers.
We will have a table at the Lighting Event. Maybe we will pick up some new members.
VIII. Old business.
The three posters entered for our May show were presented and a vote was taken.
The poster Contest was won by Andy Harding.
Tour of the green houses at the Southwestern College in Kansas.
Bryon Rinke and Max Thompson gave us a great tour. There were orchid and Poinsettias for sale.
We all came home with our arms full and had a great day. Spent our money quickly so we were able to catch the bus early.
When we arrived home, we all stood for a group photo.